Thursday, April 4, 2013

Homemade Light Box

A few months ago, I read about this homemade light box on The Imagination Tree, and I was smitten. I have wanted a light box for Baby Bear for soooo long, but they are very expensive. I thought he would like one, but I wasn't sure, so I couldn't justify the cost. Papa Bear and I were able to throw this box together using supplies we already had on hand, though!

Materials:
  • storage box with a clear or see-through lid and/or bottom
  • white Christmas lights
  • transparent or translucent, colorful manipulatives (for example, I used some of my old overhead projector teaching materials like counters, coins, and geometric shapes)
Steps:
  1. Put the Christmas lights in the storage box.
  2. Set the box clear-side-up. For us, this meant turning the box upside down.
  3. Plug in the lights if they're not battery operated.
  4. Play with the manipulatives on the box! That's it!
As it turned out, Baby Bear thought the light box was OK, but not great. He plays with it a little here and there, but I am so glad I did not invest in a store-bought box! As for me, I thought it was fantastic. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment